Thursday, September 18, 2008

Nolans Ears

Nolan had his ENT appointment on Wednesday. I made the mistake of hoping that the appointment wouldn't take too long, and took the babies with me. BIG mistake.

His appointment was at 9am at Riverside Community Hospital. We walked in to a waiting room of, seriously, about 150 people. After we checked in, the babies started getting restless. I threw all the snacks I brought at them, and that held them for about 45 minutes. As we waited, there was a constant parade of PRISONERS escorted by prison guards, being taken back to see the doctors! NO WONDER the wait is so long! They get to cut in front of everyone, so as to hurry and get them out of there. They parade throught the waiting room in their orange jumpsuits, shackled at the ankles and handcuffed. Bizarre. Nolan stared as the first group walked through, blue eyes wide, and said "look at those guys mamma!" So of course I told him "Ya look at them! They are in trouble!". (Hey, I needed some entertainment to help me forget that my other 2 kids were minutes away from a total meltdown). So sure enough, my boy didn't let me down. When the next group of prsioners walked past us Nolan yelled out "Look mamma, those guys in trouble!" It was great.

I managed to get a spot in a hallway where I could corral the kids and let them run off some energy while we waited. Finally they called our name, and amazingly the doctor came in about 2 minutes later, looked in his ear and said "Yep, he needs tubes." So my little guy will be having surgery on Oct 23rd to have tiny tubes placed in his ears, so that they will drain. He said they will stay in for about 9 months to 1 year, and then they fall out on their own. It's a short procedure, he will be put under, but the surgery only takes 5-10 minutes. I'm still going to be a nervous wreck!

Anyways, we FINALLY got out of there at 12pm - 3 hours later! All in all, everyone did well. The babies exhausted me, but what can I expect, really? But amazingly, when we got home they took a 3 hour nap - all at the same time! Totally worth it!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Now that's a funny doc story. I guess humor was in need in your situation. :)