Monday, January 25, 2010

New beginnings

It's official! As of Friday I was offered a job with Riverside County as a 911 Communications Officer with the Riverside Sheriff's Department. I originally applied for the job back in October of 2008! Filled out my backgrounds packet in December of 2008 and finished the entire process by April of 2009. I was then told that the county was on a hiring freeze. So since then I have been riding the unemployment train and staying home with the kiddos! But now it's back to work for me.

I have orientation on Feb 9th to find out all of the details, but here is what I do know so far: The academy starts Feb 16th and will be Mon-Fri from 8-5 for 6 weeks (they think). From that point we will go to the Communications Center for on site training for an unknown amount of time. This process of bouncing between classroom and on-site training continues for about a year. Only THEN am I considered off training. So I only have the job as long as I can hang through a year of training. When at the Comm Center, my shift will vary based on whatever training officer they put me with but from what I understand, they try very hard to accommodate you with the schedule that you need.

I'm excited for this new adventure! I'm actually looking forward to having a job that requires me to use my brain on a regular basis and keeps me busy so that I don't get bored. I'm not, however, looking forward to sitting on my butt for 10 hour shifts...definitely going to need to stay on my gym schedule so my rear doesn't become wider than the chair it's parked in for so many hours!!

I appreciate your prayers and good wishes as I venture off to the academy...I know it won't be easy but I have an awesome support group!!

**On another note, aren't my kids SO SCREWED?! They have a cop father and a dispatcher mother! They won't be getting away with anything! And I'm pretty sure Nolan's already destined to be a cop (he so looks up to his daddy), who knows if the others will follow too...

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Congrats, good luck with the training!!! You will do great!!