We are back from an exhausting trip to the river. We stayed at our friends house in Laughlin with the kids and some friends and their kids. Caleb was a terror most of the weekend. I feel bad for our friends who went with us, they must have been going as insane as we were. He was in rare form. I'll post pics of the weekend soon.
In other news:
Back when we signed Nolan and Paige's adoption paperwork, their social worker saw Caleb rocking himself up against the wall and said that I should have him tested for autism. And while I didn't think he had autism, I did have a feeling there was something going on with him. He is a smart little boy, but not quite like other kids. So, I called Inland Regional Center, and since he is under 3 years old, they come out to the house and asses him for free, after asking me a huge line-up of questions. They came out on Wednesday morning. An infant teacher and a woman from Inland Regional did all kinds of games and tests with him. He did well on everything, but when the teacher lady put all the fun toys away and wouldn't let him get into her bag anymore, he went into one of his fits; hitting her, pulling her hair, screaming...he even ran across the room to grab one of his toys to run back across the room and try to hit her with it. The assesment lady said he ranges from 16-19 months in most all of the tests (which is fairly typical for boys to be a tad behind), but in his "self-help" skills (ie dressing/undressing, feeding himself etc) they rated him at age 12-15 months. She also said he is showing early signs of Sensory Integration Disorder. They do not diagnose kids under age 3, but they do determine if they are "at risk" or not, and offer services based on the risks they see. Caleb has been funded by the state to attend The Wylie Center in Riverside for 3 half-days a week for the next year. She said he will be right where he should be by 6 months, but she wants to offer him a full year, just to be safe. I am really hoping all of this will help his behavior, and help him make easier transitions when it comes to schedule and environment changes and being around people he isn't used to - he has a ROUGH time in those areas. So we'll see, I'll keep you all posted!
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Good Luck with everything!
It is great that you already took care of it and got him seen. Early intervention is the BEST thing for him. It will help so much. Good Luck and if you have any questions please ask.
That was Breven at that age I just thought it was normal boy behavior I am guessing the frustration from lack of skills led to the other behaviors. I hope this will be a good intervention for him.
PRaying that everything works out.
Post a Comment