Thursday, June 18, 2009

Disgusted

I'm going to use this venue just to rant a bit.

It has come to my attention here lately that I can not listen to any radio stations other than the Christian stations with the kids in the car. I am only 27 years old (almost 28), but I feel like I am getting old every time I turn the radio on. I can not believe how bad it has gotten. I am not talking about the almost wide-spread lack of talent, I am talking about every other song being about sex. It has gotten so out of hand! The other day I was listening to the radio and when I paid attention to the words, some guy was singing about birthday sex. This morning while cleaning out the trailer, another equally disgusting song came on and I won't even write what it was singing about, because it's gross and embarrassing to repeat. I believe in freedom of speech and all of that, but I am seriously scared that as a society we are over-sexing our kids! Is this what everyone is listening to? Including people with toddlers in the car? It is no wonder that girls are getting pregnant at 12 and 13!! We have desensitized them to sex. It is so glamorized and exploited that it seems kids are growing up thinking about it more than ever! I was still playing with dolls at 12, and didn't have my first kiss until I was 14. I don't remember any songs on the radio speaking blatantly about sex. I'm sure there were some, and I was too young to catch on to the meaning, but they were nothing like the things I am hearing lately.

What is society teaching my kids? According to the radio and TV, my sons should expect sex on their birthday, get girls drunk and take them home after parties/the club, have kids and not get married, or get divorced two or three times. And my daughter should show as much skin as possible, focus her life on getting attention from men, get knocked up young and not know who the dad is, and ask for a boob job for her 16th birthday. Can you just imagine?

And it's not just the radio, TV and movies are just as bad. The other day a Victoria's Secret commercial came on and Nolan stared at it like he just saw an alien, with a big goofy smile on his face. And on the way home from Pismo we were watching the "kid movie" Happy Feet in the car, and they were singing all kinds of sexual songs and saying crude comments when they were meeting up to mate. A kids movie!! I am overwhelmed at the impact that all of this could have on my children...how much worse is it going to get by the time they start picking their own music and clothes? It's getting scary out there, and I don't see an end in sight...

**Here is the chorus of that Birthday Sex song, in case you haven't heard it. Beware it is really nasty, so don't read it if you don't want. The verses are worse, so I thought I'd spare you all those. But keep in mind, NONE of this is edited on the radio...here's to all the 3 year olds out there who repeat everything they hear:

[Chorus:]
Girl you know I-I-I, Girl you know I-I-I
I been feenin
Wake up in the late night
Been dreamin about your loving, girl
Girl you know I-I-I, Girl you know I-I-I
Don't need candles and cake
Just need your body to make...
Birthday sex... Birthday sex oohoohoohooh
(It's the best day of the year girl)
Birthday sex... Birthday sex oohoohoohooh
(G-spot g-spot let me hit that g-spot g-spot girl)

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Preach on sista!!!

Amanda said...

That's why we listen to a lot of kids songs/CDs in our house. But you have to be careful with those. If you listen to words on some of them they are quite violent.

Charlee said...

I can beat that my husband dosn't think Breven listens to the songs on the radio and the other day he sang the entire corus of Man I love college by asher roth totally innapropriate!

Tonda said...

good ole metal.... its sex free :)

Jenna said...

I hear ya. I have to change the station constantly. Madelyn sings all the songs and now asks is this one okay to sing Mommy. It drives me crazy how many bad words are in the songs also. It is very inappropriate. I like the hip hop/pop but it is out of control.

Charlee said...

I have XM and its the worst half the stations have all the swearing in the songs still and then there is howard sterns channel and playboy. My dad is the account holder for all of ours (the more radios you have you get a discount)so he gets all the stations its bad!